Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Just A Piece of The Puzzle



So as you may or may not know. I hosted my first sneaker event this past Sunday. When approached to be the man on the mic, without blinking, I said yes. How could I not? To me, I am one of those people that loves creating a memorable experience for people. I remember going to sneaker events and seeing the dude on stage with the fresh kicks and being like damn I want to be that dude. For me, its not about the recognition or getting my name on a blog. I could create a post on here and say my name over and over again, post pictures of myself and talk about myself. However, thats not what I get enjoyment from. I enjoy the moment when I see that kid getting excited about sneakers, and seeing the "I want to be that dude" face. Something I ALWAYS preach is progress. Creating a community that is both knowledgeable and educational. They call me the sneaker guru, I can tell you that I was not born with sneaker knowledge. I have spent probably a years worth of cumulated time by now searching sites thirsting for info. Whether it was scavenging through SolePedia or checking old posts on sites like NiceKicks or SneakerFiles. I wont lie, I paid my dues up until this point to get to where I am at. At the same time, I understand that in the grand scheme of things, I am a nobody. I will also consistently say that I am 100% fine with that. All I ever want to be is a person that younger or older individuals can look to for guidance. I had a good friend recently mention something to me the night before the event the other day. He told me "You know what Pete said to me, he said this is all just a piece of the puzzle." For me, that hit home in more ways than I think he realized. This. My collection. Your blog. Your collection. YouTube videos. STTV Videos. Its all part of the puzzle. Whether you notice it or not, some day, we will ALL look back on this time and remember it for what it was to each and every one of us.

I am going to finish up now because I feel like I could ramble on all day. The last thing I want to say is very simple. I do not judge myself based on the amount of sneaker I have or the amount of events I host. My success is based on the amount of progress I create. Thats all it will ever be about to me.
"Without continual growth and progress, such words as improvement, achievement, and success have no meaning." - Benjamin Franklin

Guru

1 comment:

  1. In my earlier sneakerhead days, I also took a look at past articles on various website to learn more about specific shoes.

    Judging yourself on progress created...that's deep. Nice inspirational piece!

    ReplyDelete